Thursday, July 5, 2012

Happy Independence Day 2012!!




I really appreciate celebrating Independence Day here in the United States. I have grown to understand all that it means to have liberty in how we live, worship, as well as the all sorts of freedoms we take for granite.


Photo Credit: Haven of Rest

When I was growing up, school didn't get out for the summer until the middle of July. As American children, we had special permission to have off on July 4th, but there were no parades or fireworks and I don't remember ever going to a picnic to celebrate. 

We did celebrated Queen Elizabeth the II's birthday and every year I remember going to her birthday parade in April. I knew how to sing, "God Save Her Gracious Queen" but didn't know the words to our National Anthem!!

For many years, we have had the privilege of visiting my uncle and aunt's home on a lake for a family picnic, parade, concert, and fireworks. These are sweet memories which have remained in my family's hearts.

This year, we were blessed to have a couple come for our little picnic in our backyard. I had a colorful patriotic table cloth on the picnic table, decked out with more food than seven people and a baby (who isn't eating anything but mushed food) could eat. We had delicious hamburgers, hot dogs, macaroni salad, jello, pork and beans, rice crispie treats, and ice cream sandwiches. 

We ended up by going to prayer meeting and watching a David Barton video and praying for our nation. We have a wonderful godly heritage, but we are in danger of loosing our freedom. Our grandchildren will know as little as I did growing up in a foreign country if America doesn't wake up soon!! 

"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD."
~Psalm 33:12~

I did much of the cooking the night before so I was so relaxed this morning. I washed the floor after I was done and so this morning the kitchen was neat and ready to get messy again!! I gave each bathroom a quick 5-minute-clean and other than that, didn't clean the house. If you pick up the clutter in your house before company comes, it really makes it so easy when friends arrive. It is a trick I learned many years ago when I had company for the first time (what a fiasco!!)

Here are some of the delicious things we ate:


Thank you My Heart's Desire for the recipe
Angel Eggs!!







Patriotic Dunked Krispies Thank you, Janelle from Comfy in the Kitchen for linking up this recipe!!


These are my humble 'try' at the Dunked Krispies...they tasted yummy!! Click on the link to see a professional 'try' at these Krispies!!






I'm not a photographer and I'd hardly call myself an amateur at catching moments with the camera. I'm not even a wanna-be, but I do try to capture the moment on film ditally. So, what I am trying to say is that I forgot to take  a picture of this adorable little watermelon basket filled with sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and of course, watermelon. Too bad because it turned out so sweet!! I sliced it across the middle, leaving a place for a handle carved out from the center. Then I scooped out the insides, sliced the watermelon and added the rest of the fruit. Scrumptiously cool for such a warm day!! I got my inspiration from Janelle (always, Janelle at Comfy in the Kitchen :-)


Thankfully I have another watermelon to carve!!





In Christ Alone,
Judith










a-wise-woman-builds-her-home




6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great 4th of July celebration, Judith. I didn't know that you went to school in the U.K. (you mentioned that in a comment on my blog and here mention that you celebrated the Queen's birthday. Were you there for your father's job or is your family British?
    Lovely pictures and ideas in this post too. Thanks for sharing it. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to British Government schools when Hong Kong was under British rule. Now it has been returned to China. My parents were missionaries. Coming to the States when I was nine was quite exciting!!

    We did have a wonderful day yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Judith! Sounds like you had a fab childhood.

    Glad you had a great 4th July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a wonderful childhood!! Someday I will blog about it :-)

      Delete
  4. I sort of wish I could have been with you to enjoy those yummy goodies. I think I just gained 10 pounds looking at your yummy pictures. I live in Croatia, but my sister (who is also here) and I got our families together and celebrated. We celebrate Thanksgiving together, too. I love, love, LOVE anything by David Barton. He is great!!! I was directed here by B&BB blog hop and am your new follower. Blessings from Zagreb! A Little R & R (http://www.littlerandr.org)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you could have been at our picnic!! We had such a nice time and were so blessed that friends could come. What a blessing to have your sister living near you. Croatia must be a beautiful country.

    Thanks for following, that was sweet of you. I read a couple posts on your blog from my phone :-) but I didn't comment because it is such a pain from a phone. Kind of busy with my family this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

If you have gone a little way ahead, O friend, call back --
Twill cheer my heart and help my feet along the stony track.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...