Friday, September 2, 2011

Lead Me to the Rock


“The LORD is my Rock, and my Fortress, and my Deliverer; The God of my Rock; in Him will I trust: He is my Shield, and the Horn of my Salvation, my High Tower, and my Refuge, my Savior.”  (II Samuel 22:2-3)



Encouragement for HOMEschool Moms as We Start a New Year
By Judith
August 2004

Today we are setting aside the day for a writing-day.  It is always nice to focus on one major project instead of chopping up the day into chunks. No sooner than our chores were complete and we had begun to write, the electricity went off, and so did the computer!

We depend so heavily on all that electricity brings into our homes. When it is gone and the day is dark like today, the house is gloomy as we are not connected to the source of power. Without power we are forced to turn off distractions (are you or your children distracted by the computer, the internet with its homeschool discussion boards, ladies email loops, computer games, or habitual video viewing?) and we are forced to simplify our life, lay down our plans being content with how He would direct our day.

For starters, I’m using loose-leaf paper instead of quickly pecking out my thoughts on the screen. Are we connected to the wrong power source?  Are we powered by Jesus, renewed in our Spirits and ready for the best HOMEschool year ever?

Academics are NOT the primary focus for our family as we look towards this coming year. It is another year to train the hearts of our children, directing them to Jesus. Academics are the means through which we train, direct, so that we have hearts ready for service in years to come when our children are grown.

As parents, our hearts need to be in tune with the LORD in order for us to teach our children’s hearts to be turned toward the LORD. We cannot teach our children character that we have not learned ourselves.

“Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: Thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou art my rock and my fortress.”
Psalm 71:3

Each morning when I wake up, I turn on the light. It illuminates the whole room and it sheds light on the darkness, dispelling it. Through this action, I tap into the source of power ~ electricity.

Daily, I also open my bible and read, copy scriptures, journal, and pray as I seek the LORD before my ‘day’ begins. An eternal Light is shed on my day, dispelling the darkness.

“Hear my prayer, O LORD,
And let my cry come to thee.



Hide not thy face from me in the day when I am in trouble;
Incline thine ear unto me: in the day when I call answer me speedily.”
(Psalm 102:1 & 2)

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”  (Matthew 11:28-30)

I am amazed at how many times we are instructed in the bible to praise and sing unto the LORD. Although I love to hear people sing, or sing with others, I don’t go around the house singing! Over the summer as I read and studied through Psalms, the LORD kept telling me to praise Him and sing! Over and over I found the word ‘praise’ and ‘sing’ standing out at me.

Are you anxious with the worries of HOMEschooling this year all the while trying to balance the HOME?  In the middle of the summer, I’ll have to admit that I was! I asked the LORD to speak to my spirit the things He would have me hear.  I laid down at His feet my specific concerns in my journal and now as I looked back, I can see how God choose to specifically answer those concerns. Each year is a new year where the children have grown and matured physically, academically, and spiritually.

Each year I often go through a season of seeking out His will for the coming year. If “I” don’t tap into the right source of power, I am in darkness, depression perhaps, and my outlook on the coming year looks bleak (maybe even my attitude towards the children is not the best).  Tap into the Rock who is Higher.

O GOD, my heart if fixed; I will sing and give praise, even with my glory.
Awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early.
I will praise thee, O LORD, among the people: and I will sing praises unto thee among the nations.
For thy mercy is great above the heavens: and thy truth reacheth unto the clouds.
Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: and thy glory above all the earth;
That thy beloved may be delivered: save with thy right hand, and answer me.
(Psalm 108:1-6)

If you need to be lead to the Rock, the LORD Jesus Christ, and renewed in your spirit for your HOME and the training of your children for this coming year; tap into His source of power instead of finding yourself connected to what brings the distractions of this world. Set yourself apart and do not be conformed to this world (Romans) in every area of your life.

It is our lifestyle that the LORD wants to change through our family’s HOMEschool journey. I don’t think the LORD hardly cares about how much your children’s knowledge has increased in math, spelling, or grammar if their hearts and character is heading the wrong direction. Remember, you cannot teach your children what you do not know yourself. That goes for knowing the LORD. He wants to change every area of Your life! As you grow spiritually, teach your children these things. Then He will teach you more and more as you learn the previous lesson. As the years go on, as you and your children grown spiritually, understanding and knowledge will be added.

He wants to change how we relate to our husbands and children. These are some of the things that make up our lifestyle and are the main reason God has called families to HOMEschool. It is a quiet revival within the hearts of those who have been drawn to educate at HOME. At first we thought it was because of the ‘bad’ schools but really it is because He wants our WHOLE HEART to love, praise, sing, and serve Him.

Have a blessed year seeking the Rock, the source that is higher that “I”. When you get overwhelmed, go to the Rock, when you have a ‘bad’ day (they won’t all be great) ~ go to the Rock. Daily seek Him in the early morning before the children get up (or during nap time) and He will restore your spirit with confidence and His presence as He abides in your WHOLE HEART as your Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have gone a little way ahead, O friend, call back --
Twill cheer my heart and help my feet along the stony track.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...