Have you ever answered the phone with a totally different tone than you were speaking to your husband just the second before?!
I need to work on having a cheerful tone when I answer the phone. But isn't it interesting how we are kinder and more polite to those outside our home than to those we hold dearest?! We all tend to get so used to those in our home that we can be rude instead of loving.
My wonderful husband deserves the very best attitude and behavior from me. I might not be as evident in how I manifest rudeness. I need to be sure that I portray Christ to my husband most of all. After all, my children are watching!! They will see me as a hypocrite if I am polite to friends and strangers more than their father!!
Who I am when the doors to our home are closed...is who I really am!!
We are ladies, wives, mothers, daughters of the King with a noble calling to serve Jesus in our home and when we go out into our community.
I was thinking. It would be a great idea to review some manners and apply them to ourselves. How about showing your husband this week your best manners and see where that takes you??
Remember, when you first met your husband, how sweet you were to him?? Why is it we tend to fall into patterns and become dull?!
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Manners can be fun!!
- Learning manners helps me have a kinder heart!!
- Love has manners!!
- Look at your husband when he speaks to you :-)
- LISTEN!! And do NOT interrupt!!
- Ask him, "How are you this morning??"
- Or, if he gets up before you and is off to work, email him the question or text him!!
- Give your husband a HUG and KISS!!
- Look for ways to show gratitude to your husband. Men LOVE being appreciated (and so do you!!)
- Don't say things in public that might embarrass your husband (even if he would never hear) as that affects how others view him. Speak well of him in the 'gates.'
Nothing hurts a relationship between a husband and wife more than poor manners. There is no excuse for being rude to your husband. Even if you think 'he' is being rude to you!! Kindness will speak to your husband over time while rudeness on your part will only make matters worse.
If you are like me, you desire a sweet and special relationship with your husband. Being Christlike is having manners.
Five ways wives can have poor manners:
- Over-reminding your husband to fix the shelf, hang a picture, pick up after himself!!
- Nagging!! Oh, that was number one!!
- Arguing with him when he leads instead of submitting (ouch!!)
- Being moody all day because something 'went wrong!!' Move on!!
- Rolling to the edge of the bed with your back to him because of differences (not because you normally sleep that way...cuddle up although the day was tough!!
Excellent manners towards your husband goes beyond politely saying, please and thank you. Of course, saying sweet things will go a long way to improve a rough day. It will also start to transform your heart when you intentionally have good manners towards your husband. You just might fall in love all over again!!
"Charity (love) suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;"
1 Corinthians 13:4-5~