Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring has Sprung!!




I was sitting at my kitchen table just the other day, looking out the bay windows that stretch across the width of the room. Under the trees I saw a purple crocus poking up between the drab death of winter. Other years they flourished with a backdrop of snow blanketing the ground. This year is different in the northeast and likely where you live also. 

What beauty God has given to my day. What promise. This week has been unseasonably warm. This winter was unusual for where we live, in our woods on top of what I would call a hill...1300 feet above sea level. Winter started off with a BANG in October with an unexpected foot of snow!! The other four winters gave us continual snow from October through March. I remember wading through the quiet woods where not a leaf fluttered to the rug of snow. The snow came to just below my hips that year. What fun we had!! What beauty looking out the windows of our house any direction you looked. 

This year winter ended without the crashing melt-off of sheets of ice exploding into each other at the fork where two rivers meet down the mountain from our home. Instead, this little flower quietly poked its face out of the ground to announce that spring has arrived along with its warmth of 73 degrees!! Warmth not seen since around 1930!!

There are two thoughts that this tiny purple flower speaks of: It reminds me of God's care over my life. As I wake each morning, I should greet the day with a smile and thankful heart for all that God has done to care for me. He has provided me with all that I need much as he does this flower or the lilies of the field. I am busy all day with the duties that each day brings. Too often cumbered by the toil and worries that life sends. How quickly the worries and cares fly away once I start being thankful for everything that I can think of that the Lord is doing in my life. Being thankful even for the 'not-so-seemingly-good' in my life sends the devil packing!!

"And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:" ~Matthew 6:28~

There is a second thought that I have as I look at these sweet little flowers: this little flower will soon fade away, but the word of God will stand forever. It is so important to soak yourself (and myself) in the word of God.  Just as a flower needs rain, so we need the Living water of Jesus in order to grow. You can't expect to be able to last too long without reading God's Word, the bible. Without God's Word, you will wither and fade just like the grass and flower.

"The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever."
~Isaiah 40:8~

These little crocuses remind me not to worry about the day and what it brings. God cares for me more than these little purple flowers poking up through the ground under the trees in my yard. The trees give shade to them just as God covers me with His protective arms.

~Judith~

Linked up at:

Homemaking Link Up Wednesdays
Intentional Homemaker



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have gone a little way ahead, O friend, call back --
Twill cheer my heart and help my feet along the stony track.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...