Thursday, March 29, 2012

A New Day to Serve Joyfully





" I will sing of the mercies of the LORD for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations." ~Psalm 89:1~


In the Psalms, David, often cried out to God because of his circumstances. There was a day that I did not know what it was to have the burdens from life on my mother's heart. God has been teaching me to rejoice although the circumstances aren't what I would choose. I do not always understand what God is allowing in my life but I do know this: Jesus cares!! 


One morning a few weeks ago, I woke up to the sound of the shower. I snuggled a little deeper under the covers and thought seriously of drifting back to sleep; which would have been easy. I was tired!! I willed myself out of bed,  swinging my feet out from under the warmth of the comforter (which was just that...comfort) and into the frigid room. Barefoot I padded into the kitchen listening to the Voice reminding me that I was my husband's help meet and making his breakfast this morning was more important than personal comfort. 

A toasted English muffin with an egg and cheese sandwiched between its warmth soon was ready. Then I packed my husband's lunch. Groggily I added three logs to the wood stove to return heat to our cooling home. I hurried back to my bed and slipped under the covers, tucking them securely around me...but sleep never came back. I laid in bed and prayed. I finally convinced myself to get up and exercise, shower, clean-up the kitchen, and have my Quiet Time before the rest of the household stirred.

I started out the day feeling like I just didn't want to get up!! You could say I was depressed as thoughts swirled around in my head while I lay in bed, praying. Most of us have enough on our plate to allow ourselves to slip into depression just at the thought of all there is to do, or of the impossibility of finances, or a myriad of other day-to-day issues. This is NOT where God wants me, or you!!

I have a wonderful husband and children, but like anyone, life has brought just enough stress and failure (my own) to depress me over it all. I know many women struggle with depression and sometimes for no other reason than it is January, February, or March. Depression is real. I don't want to underestimate that fact. Hormones can cause an imbalance that an herb or vitamin might relieve. Our cycles as women can bring on these spriralling emotions. The tension or morose thoughts can escalate when we have no idea how to handle these things.

There usually isn't anything that will change the circumstances, but there are ways to change how we are responding to those issues in life. This is why I exercise first thing in the morning. I have felt so guilty for not having my Quiet Time first. When I do, I fall  asleep and find that I do not have the mental acuity needed for reading my Bible. By the time I have exercised, I am no longer feeling the distress that I might have woke up with. Once I open my Bible, those thoughts are definitely diminished significantly if not totally. My time with the Lord is so much sweeter. 


"Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound: they shall walk, O LORD, in the light of thy countenance. In thy name shall they rejoice all the day: and in thy righteousness shall they be exalted." ~Psalm 89:15,16~


~Judith~


Link Ups:









2 comments:

  1. Love your practical post... I too found the first couple of months this year dark and depressing. Likewise, I'm getting to that point in my life when hormones are playing havoc with how I'm 'feeling'. However, like yourself, the I am learning to be thankful in all circumstances (as well as learing what herbal remedies might be of help)!!! Hope you have a great week. Wendy M xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

If you have gone a little way ahead, O friend, call back --
Twill cheer my heart and help my feet along the stony track.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...