Thursday, April 26, 2012

Ponderings of a Mother's Heart







"But Mary 
kept all these things
and 
pondered them in her heart."
(Mary, the mother of Jesus)
~Luke 2:19~


You could say that Mary pondered things in her heart, or that what follows are the ponderings of my heart...but don't most moms have ponderings??



What good advice for a woman, a wife, or even a girl to learn to do!! Watch what goes on around you, listen to what you hear said and instead of doing what most girls and women do most readily - responding impulsively!! Instead -ponder - keeping "it" in your heart for moments, days, years, like Mary did and see how God unfolds the situation.  See the character you will build into your life and the wisdom you will learn as God (you allow God) to work in your heart and life.

Pondering is something that the Lord has impressed on my heart recently. I am learning not to be so fully dependent on another human being rather than the Lord. There have been points in my life where a close friend has moved, leaving me without that special fellowship for two years or more. It has been during these times that I have learned to rely more on the Lord for my sustenance.


And Simeon blessed them, and said to Mary his mother, 
Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; 
and for a sign which shall be spoken against; Yea, 
a sword shall pierce through thy own soul 
also, that thoughts of many hearts may be revealed." 
~Luke 2:34,35~

A mother feels deeply in her heart the connection between her and her child. As she carries her baby for nine months, she grows close to her child often making it emotionally much more painful when something goes wrong in the child's life. When miscarriage happens, or through illness or mishap the infant dies, the mother is so saddened. It is such a grief to a Christian mother's heart when a child grows up and chooses not to follow the Lord. This is  a grief greater than any loss because to face an eternity without Christ is the saddest grief of all.

Mary, Jesus' mother, felt a sword pierce through her own soul, when Jesus died on the cross. What she felt seeing her son die, is unfathomable to me. I only know the pain of my own experiences and can only guess the depth of her piercing pain through her soul. The intensity she felt must have been far greater than anything I have ever known. 

This next verse refers to when Jesus was 12 and was left at the temple talking with the 'doctors.'

And He went down with them, and came to Nazareth, 
and was subject unto them:
but his mother 
kept all these sayings in her heart."
 ~Luke 2:51b~


Over and over, I see the example of Mary, keeping all these sayings in her heart. Pondering in her heart. Keeping quiet and not sharing all that she saw happening around her concerning Jesus. Not that sharing with your husband or a friend doesn't have its place. For me this means maybe I should 'err' a little on the pondering rather than the chattering on and on and on to my husband or friend like a blue streak (whatever a blue streak is!!) until I've lost credibility, a listening ear, or said something I shouldn't have said!!


Pondering is not to be confused with worry and fretting. Pondering brings to my mind gentle thoughtfulness over a situation and putting those things aside and storing them for another time. Pondering means to weigh in the mind with thoroughness and care. It speaks of balance, and if you know Christ, it means relying on Him for direction, trusting in Him with all your heart, leaning on Him instead of yourself. It is acknowledging Christ as your 'All in All.'


Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
~Proverbs 3:5-6~

"If any man will come after me,
let him 
deny himself, 
and 
take up his cross daily,
and 
follow me.
~Luke 9:23~

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' name.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In ev'ry high and stormy gale;
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood.
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

When he shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.
All other ground is sinking sand.

Christ Alone,
~Judith~


Link Ups:




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have gone a little way ahead, O friend, call back --
Twill cheer my heart and help my feet along the stony track.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...