Thursday, July 12, 2012

STOP COMPLAINING!!


The Children of Israel were complaining to Moses and Aaron that there was no water in the dessert. They were wishing to be back in Egypt!! How many times do we murmur either in our hearts or out-loud without even thinking that to God, complaining is a serious thing!! 






Have you ever felt discontent with your home? Ever wished you were back in 'the good ole days?' How soon do we forget our trials and think it was better in the past?? We don't always see clearly. We don't always clearly see how the Lord has worked in our life!!

In Numbers 20:8 & 9, God told Moses to speak to the Rock so that water would come out of the Rock. 

Moses did obey at this point, but his obedience was like the child who obeyed outwardly but not inwardly. You know the child who was sitting on the outside but standing on the inside?! His attitude wasn't so great because here is what he said to the Israelites:

"And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, 
and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; 
must we fetch you water out of this rock?" 
~Numbers 20:10~

God said He would provide water out of the rock for the Israelites. He was sanctifying them through this situation where they had not had water. 


I can think of times in my life where I have done without something for a season and it had been a time of spiritual growth in my life. On the other hand, I can see myself in Moses...not the meek side of Moses, although I sincerely desire to grow in meekness. 


I can see times where I have been impatient with my children, especially when they were younger. 

Being a parent isn't always easy!! Ironically, I am better prepared to be a mother now than when I had young children. I made so many mistakes!! Active little children filled with a fully developed sin nature can sure be a challenge!! 


We don't always feel up to serving our family; we're tired, and we might want time to ourselves. I have found that it is important to see the things I do for my husband and family as things I get to do. 


Over the past couple years I have been working on my thoughts and even how I say things. If I bemoan all the laundry and cleaning, I am complaining. This doesn't even motivate my children to do their part. Words said can do so much damage, and thoughts thought can work themselves out of our heart into words said to those we live with.

Learn from Moses' response to the need for water and when your husband or children ask you for a drink, start by getting it whether you are totally willing on the inside or not. Ask God to work on your heart, the 'you' on the inside, and He will continue to  grow you in grace until the day of Jesus Christ's return.
                                                
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

6 comments:

  1. Hi Judith - Your post caught my eye on WJIM because I wrote a similar post - with the same stock image - last year. Loved your perspective and it was a great reminder to me to day to knock it off with the complaints...which I was doing last night to my hubby about some challenging things! Thanks for that! If you are interested, here's the link to the one I wrote. Oh how I love the Israelites! http://theironingboard.org/2012/01/02/death-by-complaint/

    Have a blessed day!
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both have great taste in stock photos!! I stopped by your blog and enjoyed it and will stop again soon.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this post Judith. This is the second post I have "really" needed to hear this past week and reminds me how fortunate we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I really needed to write this post!! I cannot tell you how many times I would feel like saying something and realized it was complaining as I thought of my post!!

      Three of my icons connect back to photobucket instead of whre they are supposed to go, my dog has another porcupine quill in her face, and...and...instead I am thankful that these things are teaching me something that I need to learn. God is so good and has so much mercy!!

      Delete
  3. It's so true that we learn a lot as we go along. However, complaining seems to be one of those things that's so very hard to outgrow or overcome. Good reminder to watch our words and attitudes and to do everything without grumbling or complaining!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about 'complaining' being something that is very hard to outgrow!'

    Thanks for dropping by and joining the community here. You have a very original blog that will be fun to keep up with :-) There are such interesting ways to decorating using what seems to be junk to another person :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you have gone a little way ahead, O friend, call back --
Twill cheer my heart and help my feet along the stony track.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...